Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Journey to Contentment (Part 1)

A while ago I was walking through the bookstore, and stumbled upon the book Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. I bought it thinking it would be a good read, but haven't touched it until this weekend. This entire last week of work (and life), I have come home stressed, and tired, and I needed a change. I feel like I have been constantly complaining. Complaining about wanting new things for my home, upset with myself for gaining a few pounds since I've gotten married, stressing and worrying about things going on at work, upset because Grant won't let me get a kitten (silly right!), and wanting a baby and feeling like everyone around me is having one. 

This book is all about giving all our worries over to God, and being content with the life that we live. Something I've always struggled with since becoming a Christian is giving all my worries to Him, and putting all my faith in Him. I should feel so blessed with where my life is now! I have a home and an amazing husband who loves me unconditionally, I have been made perfect in God's image, Grant loves my little yorkie Charlie (haha) I have a job doing something I love, and I have amazing friends(Shanna I'm still so stinkin excited for you!). 

My hope is that over the time of me reading this book, and getting more into the Word, that I will become less anxious about my future, and more content with how my life is now, and have complete faith that God will take care of me. 

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a struggle for many of us! You're not alone!

    I have to say, now knowing you're hoping for kids - when I had that dream about you having a baby, I woke up in the middle of the night and was feeding Max his bottle, and I felt "nudged" by God to share that dream with you. I felt silly doing it, since I didn't even know if you WANTED kids at all, and I resisted, but God Insisted :) I really feel that my dream, and yours, and Grant's, as you shared with me, are God telling you this IS in His plans for you, to just be patient - but that's hard! I hope this book and His word bring you peace in your heart. I'll be praying for you, too!

    ~Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I sort of know what you're feeling--been there before and still struggle with contentment sometimes. I remember when having a family was what I wanted more than anything in the world. It's hard to wait for God's timing when we want something so important to us. A favorite verse is in Psalms 37:4-7. "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him...Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him…" The problem is we don't necessarily get our desires until we learn to delight in Him (and then, of course, He gives us the right desires!) Plus, He tells us it will require waiting! You are so right about getting more into the Word--that is where we learn to delight in Him. I have spent more time in the Word since moving here, partly b/c I have more time, but also b/c I needed it, feeling sad about being away from everyone, etc. I am still working on this contentment thing and am slowly learning to be content with the distance b/t us, with this old rental (after having such a nice home!), etc. and God has been faithful in helping me find that contentment. As you keep trusting Him, I know he will bring you that peace, too. It’s a journey and we get closer to where we want to be, even if we never arrive at perfection! Sounds like a good book--let me know how you like it--maybe I'll read it sometime, too. We pray for you all the time! So glad that amazing husband of yours is my son so you are one of "us" Brubachers!

    ReplyDelete